Curious Monkey Ltd is a company limited by guarantee (number 08550041) with charitable registration (Charity Number 1167703). Please find our contact details here
Curious Monkey collects certain information about our audiences, participants, contacts and employees. Curious Monkey is committed to collecting and storing this information in a safe, lawful and transparent manner in line with The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which applies in the UK and across the EU from May 2018.
This policy outlines:
Curious Monkey’s responsibilities
- The personal data Curious Monkey collects and why
- Anonymous data
- How the data is collected, stored, used, and if it is shared
- The rights of the individual
1. Curious Monkey’s responsibilities
2. The data Curious Monkey collects and why
In certain circumstances, Curious Monkey needs to collect personal data about our participants, contacts, employees and audiences. Personal data means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’). The lawful bases for this collection of data come under one of the following:
- Legal Obligation
- Vital interests
- Public Task
- Legitimate interest
The lawful basis for collection will be detailed at the time of collection.
Reasons that Curious Monkey collect and store personal data include:
- To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our participants during our projects
- To gain permission for children aged under 16 to participate in projects from parents
- To gain consent to take photos / videos
Employees/Workforce (including freelance staff, employees, trustees, volunteers and interns):
- To enter into a contract of employment with an individual
- To adhere to our legal requirements for retaining financial and contractual information
- To send news and promotional information to audiences about our work
- To send fundraising information to our audiences
The types of information Curious Monkey will collect and store could include:
- Name and contact details
- Date of Birth
- Parental consent (if participant is under 16)
- Emergency Contact Details
- Statutory service contacts (where applicable e.g. Social Worker)
- Relevant medical history, allergies or food intolerances
- Media release consent
- Access needs
- Evaluation information
- Name, address, contact details
- Date of Birth
- Proof of identity (including for processing DBS checks)
- HR details including Tax, National Insurance and pension information
- Bank Details
- Name and email address
3. Anonymous Data
Curious Monkey will from time to time also collect anonymous data, which could include:
- Equal opportunities monitoring
- Audience and participant feedback
- Reports to funders
- Curious Monkey’s annual report
When this data is stored and used, there will be no information to identify individuals retained. Pseudonyms or initials will be used in reporting.
4. How the data is collected, stored, used, and if it is shared
In some cases, in order for Curious Monkey to collect, store and use individuals’ data, we need to obtain individual’s consent. At the time when the data is collected (e.g. when an individual joins the mailing list, attends a workshop and fills in a form etc.) the individual will be provided with a privacy notice that will outline:
- Who is processing their data
This will usually be Curious Monkey Ltd there may be times when Curious Monkey is collaborating with other organisations who may also need access to data. This will be outlined in the privacy notice.
- What data is involved
The privacy notice will outline the data being requested. Curious Monkey will only request information that is necessary for the purposes of the project or transaction.
- The purpose for processing that data
- The outcomes of data processing
The privacy notice will explain what will happen to the data when it has been collected by Curious Monkey including where and how it will be stored and for how long. Curious Monkey will store information for different lengths of time, depending on the needs of the project or activity. This will be outlined in each privacy notice.
- How to exercise their rights
Each privacy notice will link to information on individuals’ rights, which can be found in ‘Section 4: The rights of the Individual’ below.
- How data is stored
Curious Monkey securely store data in the cloud via an online file storage service, which is password protected and encrypted. Access to these files is limited to certain members of management and administration. Paper consent forms are transported and stored in line with Curious Monkey’s Data Management Policy. Curious Monkey will monitor when data needs to be renewed or removed from our system in line with the length of time set out in the privacy policies.
Curious Monkey will not share personal data with any third parties unless stated clearly in the privacy notice at the time of collection. Curious Monkey may share information about individuals with law enforcement agencies and other organisations or individuals if required to by law.
5. The rights of the individual
Individuals who Curious Monkey holds data on have the right to:
- Ask what information the company holds about them and why
- Ask how to gain access to it
- Be informed how to keep it up to date
- Be informed how the company is meeting its data protection obligations
In order to request access to the personal data Curious Monkey holds about them, and to update or amend it individuals can email the Data Protection Officer firstname.lastname@example.org. Curious Monkey will have 14 days to respond to an access request and ensure the individual is aware of the process. For more information, please refer to Curious Monkey’s Data Management Policy.
- Media Release
- Participant Consent
- Mailing List
Meeting the obligations of the GDPR to ensure compliance will be an ongoing process, Curious Monkey will regularly review this policy in conjunction with the Data Management Policy. Any updates will be communicated to individuals and will be available online.
For more information please contact Jen Dewar on email@example.com
Or visit our website www.curiousmonkeytheatre.com
Space Six, Floor 6, Commercial Union House,
39 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
If you require more support, or wish to contact the Information Commissioners Office, please see this link: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/