A creative conversation for those who work in, make decisions about or have experience of the care system.
29th October 2019, 12pm – 6pm at Gosforth Civic Theatre
This event showcased creative work by young people with experience of the care system as a celebration of their achievements but also as a stimulus for discussion and debate. The creative pieces made by the young people were across a range of mediums: theatre, performance, film and VR.
We had a brilliant turnout on the day! Those who attended came from varied backgrounds such as Freelance Theatremakers, Foster Carers, Young People, Local Authorities and Arts Organisations.
The following performances explored themes around care and other issues the young people felt were important to them:
- Troupe: The live performance explored issues important to TROUPE, including mental health, body image and the support (or lack of) in place. ‘Reaching out’ is a series of scenes that aims to share their thoughts, ideas and conversations.TROUPE is Curious Monkey’s group for young people aged 14-21 with experience of the care system. They meet weekly and participate in creative workshops, theatre trips, social events and creating performance.
- Plus One: “Derby”, a film developed by Plus One and The Paper Birds theatre company. The film is a response to theme ‘Home’ and includes original poetry and songs. The Plus One programme is part of Derby’s Cultural Education Partnership and is designed to provide exciting & quality cultural experiences for care experienced young people and their families across Derby city. Plus One work with a range of artists and organisations creating accessible and bespoke pathways for their young people through creative mentoring, work placements, collaborative projects and apprenticeships. Plus One also gave a second offering in the form of a theatre piece devised especially for this event. Plus One shared with us a culmination of their ideas around the question, “What does ‘Care about Care?’ mean to you?”
- New Writing North: ‘If I Told You About My Life’ This film was created with a young person involved in New Writing North’s creative writing programmes. The piece was developed from prose to a spoken word poem and then into this short film, created using a team of young artists with experience of the care system.New Writing North run a young writers’ group for looked after children and young people in Gateshead. The group work with professional writers and artists to explore different genres, styles and forms of creative writing.
- Poets –
- Dialectic Dee: A 21 year-old spoken word artist from London, who aims to use the performing arts as a tool to positively impact change. She has performed at many spoken word events, poetry jams and festivals around Europe, and has also been on the BBC.
- Astroknot: Edinburgh based rapper and spoken word artist Astroknot shared two poems.
Following the performances, there was a big conversation facilitated by Curious Monkey Artistic Director, Amy Golding; using open space technology with no pre-set agenda or order of business. Instead the conversation were set by the people who attended and centred around the discussions that were urgent in that moment.
Some of the Open Session calls on 29th October 2019:
- Life Story Work
- (How) can we use performances to influence change?
- My Care Experience
- Do care experienced people want to make work about their experience in care?
- How can people who haven’t experienced care best be allies for people who have?
- How can young people who have experienced living in care help other young people going through it or who have also been through it and support them with their experiences